Apple Pecan Naked Cake
Learn how to make this Apple Pecan Naked Cake, a moist and rustic spice cake baked with apples and pecans and topped with brown sugar buttercream.
Can this cake be any more “fall”? I love the idea of naked cakes. I absolutely love the idea of not having to frost an entire cake. Naked cakes are a style of cake that’s very forgiving. You don’t have to worry about trimming tops of layers, crumb coats, etc. Yes, please! You can see more of my apple recipes here, I certainly don’t have a shortage of them.
How to Make Apple Pecan Naked Cake
This is a fairly quick cake to make, although it does require peeling, coring, and slicing apples. Overall, the base of the cake is similar to a spice cake with the added interest of pecans and apples.
As far as the taste of the cake goes, it’s delicious. The layers are extremely moist!
For the frosting, I chose a brown sugar buttercream. It’s very sweet but compliments the flavors of the cake perfectly.
It’s displayed it on my new wood and marble cake stand. Honestly, I’m obsessed with this cake stand… and I already have a rather out-of-control collection!
I wish I could say we ate this entire cake, but unfortunately, that’s not the case. It was left on the counter with a bowl over it when I went to pick up my son from preschool. When I returned, there was frosting all over the floor, cake scattered everywhere. There also happened to be a very guilty looking Lucy dog sitting in the middle of the mess. Luckily, I had already gotten photos and removed it from the cake stand. If she had broken that too I would have been very sad.
I hope you enjoy this cake and make sure to keep it away from those pesky pups!
Apple Pecan Naked Cake
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 3 cups of peeled and diced apples I prefer honeycrisp
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease cake pan and set aside.
- Cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in the bowl of stand mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine or sift together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, allspice, and salt.
- Add ⅓ of flour combination to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix on low speed. Follow with half of the milk. Alternate milk and flour until all are combined.
- Fold in apples and pecans with a spatula until mixed.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
I made this Brown Sugar Buttercream frosting.
To keep the exposed cake layers moist, you can brush on simple syrup.