These peppermint bark cupcakes are a delicious devil’s food cake topped with peppermint buttercream and garnished with crushed peppermint and peppermint bark.
Peppermint bark is one of my absolute favorite Christmas treats! It is so easy to make. I used store-bought bark for these Peppermint Bark Cupcakes, but you can also get my recipe here!
How to Make Peppermint Bark Cupcakes
These cupcakes capture the essence of peppermint bark: chocolate cake and creamy peppermint buttercream garnished with crushed peppermint and a sliver of peppermint bark. They mimic the layers used to create traditional peppermint bark.
How to Make Devil’s Food Cake Cupcakes
Sift cocoa powder into a medium bowl (I prefer to use a mixing bowl with a spout) and then add the dark brown sugar. Pour in the boiling water and whisk until it’s combined into a chocolate sauce. Set that aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and granulated sugar for about 2 minutes until they’re light and fluffy.
In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set this aside. Yes, this one takes a lot of bowls!
Go back to your stand mixer and add vanilla and 1 egg, mixing well. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Then add 2nd egg, mix well. Finally, add the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined. Use a spatula as necessary to scrape sides of the mixer bowl.
Add your chocolate mixture slowly to the batter and beat this until combined. Using an ice cream scoop, add your batter to the cupcake pan. Bake the cupcakes for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
How to Make Peppermint Buttercream
Beat butter and confectioners sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until fluffy. If you don’t have a stand mixer, I recommend using a handheld mixer for both the Devil’s Food Cake and the Peppermint Buttercream.
Add the peppermint. Check for consistency, it should be similar to peanut butter. If it appears too firm, add the light cream. If it’s too runny, add additional confectioners sugar.
Garnishing Your Peppermint Bark Cupcakes
After the peppermint bark cupcakes are cool, remove the middle of the cupcake with a knife or inverted frosting tip. Spoon or pipe peppermint frosting into the center of the cupcake.
Top with the additional frosting with a knife or frosting bag. Last but not least, garnish the cupcakes with crushed candy cane and a sliver of peppermint bark.
Peppermint Bark Cupcakes
Devil's Food Cake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup very hot coffee
- 9 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
Peppermint Buttercream Ingredients
- ½ cup unsalted butter 1 stick, softened or room temperature
- 1 lb confectioners sugar half of a 32 oz bag, sifted
- 1 tsp of pure peppermint extract
- 1 tsp Light Cream
- Crushed Peppermint
- Peppermint Bark pre-bought or homemade
Devil's Food Cake Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line cupcake pan with papers.
- In a medium bowl: add sifted cocoa powder and dark brown sugar. Pour in the boiling water and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Within a large bowl: beat the butter and granulated sugar together, about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl: mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl with sugar and butter: add vanilla and 1 egg, mix well. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Then add 2nd egg, mix well. Finally, add the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined. Use a spatula as necessary to scrape sides of the bowl.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the batter and beat until combined (about 30 seconds).
- Scoop about 1/3 cup of mixture into each cupcake liner and place cupcake pan on the center rack in the oven.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. While cupcakes are baking, make frosting.
- Let cupcakes sit for 5 minutes in the pan and place on cooling rack.
Peppermint Buttercream Instructions
- Beat butter and confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until fluffy.
- Add peppermint and light cream, if needed.
- The consistency of your buttercream should be similar to peanut butter. Add additional sugar or cream to achieve desired result.
- When the cupcakes are cool, remove middle of the cupcake with a knife or inverted frosting tip. Spoon or pipe peppermint frosting into center of cupcake.
- Top with additional frosting, either with a knife or frosting bag. Garnish with crushed candy cane and a sliver of peppermint bark.