Elevate a simple brownie box mix with the festive addition of peppermint!
- 1 box brownie mix for 8x8" pan
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peppermint chips soft ones, like Ghirardelli
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened/room temperature
- 1 lb confectioners sugar, sifted half a 32 oz. bag
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 tsp light cream
- 12 candy canes, crushed for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray or grease an 8x8" brownie pan. Set aside.
Add brownie mix, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract to bowl of stand mixer. Beat until well combined.
Fold in chocolate and peppermint chips.
Add brownie batter to 8x8" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes. A toothpick should come out mostly clean but may be "fudgy" at the bottom.
Allow to cool.
Beat butter and confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until fluffy.
Add peppermint extract and light cream, if needed.
The consistency of your buttercream should be similar to peanut butter. Add additional sugar or cream to achieve desired result.
Frost cooled brownies and garnish with crushed candy canes.