Delicious devil’s food cake with a creamy peppermint buttercream, garnished with crushed peppermint and peppermint bark.
Devil's Food Cake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup very hot coffee
- 9 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
Peppermint Buttercream Ingredients
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick, softened or room temperature)
- 1 lb confectioners sugar (half of a 32 oz bag, sifted)
- 1 tsp of pure peppermint extract
- 1 tsp Light Cream
- Crushed Peppermint
- Peppermint Bark (pre-bought or homemade)
Devil's Food Cake Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line cupcake pan with papers.
- In a medium bowl: add sifted cocoa powder and dark brown sugar. Pour in the boiling water and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Within a large bowl: beat the butter and granulated sugar together, about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl: mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl with sugar and butter: add vanilla and 1 egg, mix well. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Then add 2nd egg, mix well. Finally, add the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined. Use a spatula as necessary to scrape sides of the bowl.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the batter and beat until combined (about 30 seconds).
- Scoop about 1/3 cup of mixture into each cupcake liner and place cupcake pan on the center rack in the oven.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. While cupcakes are baking, make frosting.
- Let cupcakes sit for 5 minutes in the pan and place on cooling rack.
Peppermint Buttercream Instructions
- Beat butter and confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until fluffy.
- Add peppermint and light cream, if needed.
- The consistency of your buttercream should be similar to peanut butter. Add additional sugar or cream to achieve desired result.
- When the cupcakes are cool, remove middle of the cupcake with a knife or inverted frosting tip. Spoon or pipe peppermint frosting into center of cupcake.
- Top with additional frosting, either with a knife or frosting bag. Garnish with crushed candy cane and a sliver of peppermint bark.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American