These peppermint brownies elevate a simple box mix to a decadent seasonal treat by adding melted butter, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and peppermint chips.
These peppermint brownies taste a bit like peppermint bark, but they are very soft and moist. There’s just something about the mixture of peppermint and chocolate. It’s definitely one of my favorite combos! You can also check out my peppermint bark and peppermint bark cupcake recipes from previous years.
Peppermint Brownies Recipe (from a box mix!)
The base for this recipe is a simple box mix. You can really use any chocolate brownie box mix designed for an 8×8″ pan. I really find that starting with a box mix saves me from buying too much of the ingredients that would normally just sit in the cupboard past expiration.
Especially during the holidays, I’m all about the shortcuts! After all, I try to remind myself that no one is handing out awards for making things completely from scratch. Brownies can be very tricky and time-consuming to make from scratch, and all of the important pieces are right there in most box mixes! The key is in elevating the recipe with everything you add to it.
The addition of the peppermint and vanilla extract to the batter helps bring out the flavor to its full potential. I recommend going with nice and high-quality extracts. I’m also partial to melted butter instead of oil. A good butter, like Kerrygold or a French Butter. Last, but certainly not least, the chocolate and peppermint chips are fun bursts of flavor. I used these peppermint chips.
As with all chocolate things, these go wonderfully with a nice glass of milk. I hear Santa may be partial to them! 😉 I hope you enjoy this recipe! In the comments, let me know your favorite way to simplify holiday baking.
- 1 box brownie mix for 8×8″ pan
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peppermint chips soft ones, like Ghirardelli
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened/room temperature
- 1 lb confectioners sugar, sifted half a 32 oz. bag
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 tsp light cream
- 12 candy canes, crushed for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray or grease an 8×8″ brownie pan. Set aside.
- Add brownie mix, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract to bowl of stand mixer. Beat until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate and peppermint chips.
- Add brownie batter to 8×8″ pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes. A toothpick should come out mostly clean but may be “fudgy” at the bottom.
- Allow to cool.
- Beat butter and confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until fluffy.
- Add peppermint extract and light cream, if needed.
- The consistency of your buttercream should be similar to peanut butter. Add additional sugar or cream to achieve desired result.
- Frost cooled brownies and garnish with crushed candy canes.